Creamy Chicken, Mushroom and Tarragon Turnovers
Packed with creamy mushroom chicken, these golden flaky turnovers will be gone in no time.
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 6 large flat mushrooms roughly chopped into 2cm pieces
- 400g crème fraiche
- 2 lemons (zested)
- 1 tbsp cornflour + 2 tbsp cold water whisked together
- 2 sprigs each of fresh tarragon and thyme leaves only roughly chopped
- 1 pack Santa Rosa shredded chicken
- 1 pack puff pastry sheets + egg wash
- White sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large fry pan, heat butter and oil.
- Sauté onions gently for 10 mins. And then the garlic for 2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5-8 mins until soft.
- Stir in the crème fraiche and lemon zest then simmer.
- Stir in the cornflour water until the sauce thickens (about 5 mins).
- Add the chicken and simmer for a further 5 mins. Season to taste.
- Cut the puff pastry into 15cm rounds and egg wash around the edges.
- Put a spoonful of mixture into the centre of each pastry round and spread along the middle.
- Fold pastry over to form a crescent and crimp the edges to seal. Repeat until all the mixture’s gone.
- Egg wash the turnovers, sprinkle with sesame seeds then bake for 12-15 mins, or until golden and flaky.
Enjoy your turnovers with a blob of brown sauce or relish, and a seasonal herb and tomato salad.