Smoked Chicken, Farro, Kale and Parmesan
This is a delicious and wholesome winter warmer. Wonderful for the family or served as a main for your dinner guests with a side of warm crusty bread.
- 1 cup Farro [or barley]
- 2 cups unsalted water
- 1 whole Santa Rosa smoked chicken or 2 x 300g packs
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1L chicken stock
- 3 cups kale leaves [or spinach leaves]
- 1 lemon juiced
- To garnish
- 100g parmesan
- Fresh basil leaves
- Italian parsley leaves roughly chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the farro in the water for 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large deep fry pan over medium heat gently sauté the onions in olive oil till translucent. Add the garlic and cook a further 2 mins until the garlic begins to turn golden, immediately pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cut the whole smoked chicken into 6 pieces or if using the smoked breasts cut them into 4 slices each. Add them to the fry pan and simmer for 10-15 mins until they are thoroughly heated through.
- Add the cooked farro and simmer a further 5 mins. Stir in the kale leaves and finish with lemon juice.
Garnish generously with grated parmesan, torn basil leaves, chopped parsley and good drizzle of olive oil. Serve with lemon wedges and warm crusty bread.